Subject:   RE: Equations for finding roots
Author: Mathman
Date: Sep 28 2004
On Sep 27 2004, Rattrap wrote:
> I'm working on some 3d software, and am currently working on trying
> to use some of the SIMD CPU functions (MMX,SSE,3DNow,etc).  I have
> been trying to find the mathematical equations or processes for
> computing the nth root of a number, with no real luck yet.

There are some old-fashioned ways of finding square root and cube root, but
they are tedious.  Look into the Binomial Theorem [any index], and you might
also take a peek into some numerical analysis.  The Binomial Theorem might suit
your purpose, but do consider calculating also any error involved in the
approximation.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help