Subject:   RE: Computer Tools at PreK2
Author: lanius
Date: Sep 29 2004
Have you seen the drag-and-drop-type simulations of manipulatives? The
rubber band-less geoboards? The pattern blocks? The cuisinaire rods? I'm not
recommending that they should replace the real ones, but at times the virtual
manipulatives augment the real. If they have exposure to both at the same time,
students will move effortlessly between the "real" and virtual manipulatives
depending on the task.

Have you seen the Logical Zoombini games from the Learning Company that build
logical thinking? You are right that good software for pre-school is limited,
but does that mean that it couldn't be effective if it were available. We have
several examples of good software for those ages.

By the way, when I was  using an IBM Selectric, my need for a word processor
didn't pop out at me. (See I'm an oldie, but goodie, myself.)

cynthia

yes  no

Discussion Help