Subject:   RE: exponents
Author: Mathman
Date: Oct 3 2004
On Oct  2 2004, gene wrote:

Dear PWR,

I searched for “exponents” using the box at the top
> of the page and found a number of things, including the following
> sites:

Exponents for Algebra
> http://mathforum.org/mathtools/tool/12812/ offers algebra-oriented
> “lessons”.

>It would be nice
> if teachers especially would look these over and rate them or review
> them to help others—and also report to this discussion!
Well you might not think it so nice.  I don't know why some think that if you
see the same thing on a computer monitor that is written in any text, or
chalkboard [or whiteboard] that this is an improvement.  There is no actual
teaching going on there.  The mindless practice session at the end covers
limited possibilities, few variations.  Much better is a systematic approach
with increasingly more difficult examples and practice problems.  When first
teaching I bought some older texts, circa late 1800s early 1900s.  Take a look
at Hall and Knight's Elementary Algebra, or their Higher Algebra.  Therein lies
the difference.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help