Subject:   Role of MathDrag'n program in education
Author: Haertchen
Date: Oct 26 2004
I have developed a rudimentary program that allows the user to manipulate
algebra through drag-and-drop.  (It is available for download at
equation.sourceforge.net.)  While I am interested in getting help working on
this program (it is far too big for me to do alone) I am more interested here in
whether it would be a useful educational tool, and if so what it would be useful
for.  Note that I designed it for use by a technical audience, but at the
current stage of developement, that is hardly noticable.

I am not certain whether this program would be a good thing to give to students.
While I am fairly certain that really using it effectively requires the user to
understand algebra already, it seems to me that students could use it to be lazy
rather than productive.  On the other hand, I don't know whether teachers would
use it for anything.  That's why I'm here.  Any comments on these issues would
be greatly appreciated.

In its current state, MathDrag'n is distributed as an executable jar file, which
means that if you have the 1.4.2 jre installed (available from Sun at
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/download.html ), you should be able to run it by
double-clicking it.

yes  no

Discussion Help