Subject:   RE: Fractions, concept and calculations
Author: Mr. B.
Date: Nov 13 2004
I was teaching fractions to my grade 5/6 class and quite by accident started to
get them to understand equivalent fractions.  I told them a story of two
children who are invited by a third to come home for supper.  As they arrive the
boy who has invited his friends over asks his mother to slice the pizza in 24
equal pieces instead of 8 because they are really hungry!

Immediately the students saw that this logic was faulty and we were able to see
that the denominator needs to be equal to compare or order.

yes  no

Discussion Help