Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Mathman
Date: Dec 6 2004
On Dec  6 2004, Bethy wrote:
> I'm about at wits end. I teach in a very small rural school (one
> school district) and we have a number of students who, at 7th and
> 8th grade, still don't know 75% or more of the multiplication facts.
> I'm not a proponent of rote memorization, but these students need
> some means of quickly retrieving/calculating this information. What
> does the research indicate? Does anyone know of an effective method
> for equipping these students with a procedure so that they can move
> ahead?

You should not ask for "research" or you'll get something out of OISE.  You
might better ask for experience.
The procedure, is basically "Whatever works."  Why then do yo uavoid "rote
learning" of "facts"?  Yo uare not teaching analysis or thinking, or process,
but basic skills, and rote learning works, like learning how to tie their
shoelaces.

Exposure:  I know, they've had some already.  Have them write out the times
table in a neat form.  Give them marks for doing so.  Tell them they may use
them during the class, and hopefully less frequently, but can not use them on a
simple quick quiz every Wednesday and Friday.  They will be marked on their
*best* test results.  They need confidence ...and practice, practice,
practice.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help