Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Tojo
Date: Dec 7 2004
Multiplication facts have to be memorized. As you memorize more, the facts get
embedded in your long term memory. Because of calculators students do all their
multiplication on them and do not use their brain's long term memory
capabilities. So the more they are advised to utilise their own memory they will
depend less and less on the calculators.
Regards
Ninan

On Dec  6 2004, Mathman wrote:
> On Dec  6 2004, Bethy wrote:
> I'm about at wits end. I teach in a
> very small rural school (one
> school district) and we have a
> number of students who, at 7th and
> 8th grade, still don't know
> 75% or more of the multiplication facts.
> I'm not a proponent of
> rote memorization, but these students need
> some means of quickly
> retrieving/calculating this information. What
> does the research
> indicate? Does anyone know of an effective method
> for equipping
> these students with a procedure so that they can move
> ahead?
> You should not ask for "research" or you'll get something out of
> OISE.  You might better ask for experience.
The procedure, is
> basically "Whatever works."  Why then do yo uavoid "rote learning"
> of "facts"?  Yo uare not teaching analysis or thinking, or process,
> but basic skills, and rote learning works, like learning how to tie
> their shoelaces.

Exposure:  I know, they've had some already.
> Have them write out the times table in a neat form.  Give them marks
> for doing so.  Tell them they may use them during the class, and
> hopefully less frequently, but can not use them on a simple quick
> quiz every Wednesday and Friday.  They will be marked on their
> *best* test results.  They need confidence ...and practice,
> practice, practice.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help