Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: jacobsond
Date: Jan 2 2005
Hello,

I have been a sixth grade math teacher for four years now, and it seems to me
that this problem is prevalent in our  schools; mostly,  I feel because we all
know what is needed but we need to be politically correct on the approach. I do
not believe our children are lacking ability; however, this generation of
computer savvy kids feels that it is not important to learn the multiplication
fact, if after all, they can use a calculator. So, make it as painful as
possible. Five of multiplication facts as a warm up each day will do the job.  I
recommend make it fun with some rewards.  I use a free homework pass after
getting 15 correct.

I believe that math should be fun and we should learn by discovery and
understanding, but to succeed we must have a foundation. Elementary schools are
focus on teaching high level concepts and consequently, students do not get all
the facts....

Hopeful!

yes  no

Discussion Help