Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Mathman
Date: Jan 3 2005
On Jan  3 2005, rabeldin wrote:
> At least some of this problem is simply due to promoting students
> who haven't mastered their assignments. Grade inflation happens if
> we don't demand excellence. I taught basic statistics with a four
> test format and the requirement that each student reach 100% by
> repeating the test (actually a structurally similar test with
> different data). Some students reported that this was the first time
> anyone ever expected them to succeed and they appreciated it. It
> will take some ingenuity to develop such tests but they are well
> worth it.

Students are seldom the problem.  It's the parents who run up your face and down
your back to see who can be first to the principal's office if their child meets
a challenge for the first time.  The rewards are like the student in a general
class who should have been taking an advanced course, but would not leave
because she wanted "to stay here and learn something." ...and did.

It may be like the choice faced by the writer:  Write what you want from your
heart and go hungry now and then, or pump out the pulp and be rich.  Your
choice.

yes  no

Discussion Help