Subject:   RE: More on Drill and Kill, practice and learning
Author: rabeldin
Date: Jan 16 2005
Well, we have successfully bureaucraticized the schools, but we haven't been so
successful with children, thank goodness.

The way our civilization treats teachers nearly guarantees that real experts
will not be found there. So children have to learn with anyone the schools
system can convince to warm the teacher's seat. No offense, but don't we all
know colleagues who are sadly lacking in inventiveness, the spontaneous
enthusiasm that students can emulate, and willingness to take risks? For the
most part our administrations weed out those who dare to challenge the received
doctrines of curriculum and methodology.

Nobody gets fired for drilling students or for showing up each day.

Administrators would rather hire an unaccomplished teacher (or even an
unqualified one) to admitting failure to locate someone. I learned one
important lesson in manufacturing quality management. You don't get more
resources if you fool your boss into thinking you can work without them.

Dick

yes  no

Discussion Help