Subject:   RE: More on Drill and Kill, practice and learning
Author: Mathman
Date: Jan 17 2005
On Jan 17 2005, rabeldin wrote:
> I think we are in violent agreement.

Agreed. but a little less violently.  :-)

> Students don't need fantasy to
> strengthen their egos, they need real accomplishments.

Agreed again.  I was tutoring her [I'm retired.]  She has since done rather
well.  Another tool I've used very effectively is the old geometry set.  There's
a lot of math in there, including trigonometry.  There's also much math in such
implements as the carpenters' square, a tool of the trades.  We don't need to
study all fractions to learn all about fractions, just a few simple ones.  I'm
not bouncing all over the place here, just drawing analogy.  Practice, and the
manner of being taught by knowledgeable teachers is not something to be ignored
[not being personal there.]  However, it is too often chastised these days.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help