Subject:   RE: More on Drill and Kill, practice and learning
Author: rabeldin
Date: Jan 18 2005
On Jan 17 2005, Mathman wrote:
> We don't need to study all fractions to learn all about fractions,
> just a few simple ones.

This is true only for people who have learned the power of generalization.
Unfortunately, some of my college students never learned that lesson. They
continue, even at age 20, to think that education is only about memorizing
enormous numbers of "facts". At one local college, I had a student who came up
after class and said,

"Why do I have to think to pass your course? I get along fine with memorization
in all the others."

The course in question was an introduction to computing for business
applications. I admit that I injected some philosophical questions into the
course, like "You need to consider your objectives before you settle on a course
of action."

yes  no

Discussion Help