Subject:   RE: More on Drill and Kill, practice and learning
Author: rabeldin
Date: Jan 18 2005
Since it is true that we cannot use prospective pragmatism to motivate students
on some of the more esoteric aspects of mathematics, perhaps we ought to seduce
our students with the aesthetics of mathematics.

I know of no systematic way to do this, especially in a large diverse class.
One-on-one and with lots of patience (mine and the student's) I can consider
this feasible. In a classroom of 30-40, I am discouraged just thinking about
it.

I am not the great showman of a lecturer. I feel happy if I can get one or two
laughs a week. I fear that I am not alone and that many colleagues have given up
on teaching math for math's sake. Is it possible to provide basic math education
with the justification "You will need this when ..."?

yes  no

Discussion Help