Subject:   RE: More on Drill and Kill, practice and learning
Author: Mathman
Date: Jan 18 2005
On Jan 18 2005, rabeldin wrote:
>Is it
> possible to provide basic math education with the justification "You
> will need this when ..."?

There's nothing wrong with that.  I wasn't expecting that math would be taught
just for the fact that it is math, but was drawing analogy to the dictionary.
We don't have to learn all of the words, but they do come in handy when trying
to express ourselves more clearly. [viz: your first paragraph.]  I'm a very
practical person: blue collar family, hobby fine woodworking, fix anything
around the house, and do all necessary wiring, plumbing etc.  I'm ALL for
practical application of mathematics.

On the lighter side, I recall a story from my brother, an engineer.  As a
student, he and others had to take a course in philosophy.  in fact, it was in a
very large lecture hall.  The first day, the prof, slight of build, came out
with a turtle-neck sweater and crepe-soled suede shoes, sat on the desk and
crossed his legs.  Three hundred engineers and math/science types started to
laugh.  He left.  The next day, he  entered the hall and started to write on the
blackboard:  "Things you need to know for your exam."  Three hundred people
started to write in their notepads.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help