Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Mathman
Date: Jan 27 2005
On Jan 26 2005, ihor wrote:

> By the way, Geri, the math section in the new book from NAP "How
> Students Learn: History, Mathematics, and Science in the Classroom"
> is all the ammunition you will ever need to be convinced of the
> richness of the path you chose.

-Ihor

A minor note:  I presented the site to some colleagues [a cross-province
network] by conference and by email.  To a man, they were not the least
impressed with this pedagogy.  That broad generality which is suitable for an
enlightened minority is not at all suitable for a majority who struggle daily.
The majority will not go on to a mathematics degree, even if they do go on to
some other form of degree.  Their needs are accordingly simple.  One can teach a
topic, or the significance of a topic.  The latter is lost to most who have
trouble understanding the basic concepts of the topic.  I'll see if I can post
one reply as an example of the reaction.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help