Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: rabeldin
Date: Jan 27 2005
>Their papers revealed a couple common themes: teachers and tests. >Regardless
of whether people were strong in math or said they couldn't >do it at all, the
reason was a teacher or a test. For the successful, >their strong memory was of
a teacher who helped them and they finally >got it, or a test that validated
their success. For those who had >rejected math, there was a test or a teacher
that made them feel >humiliated or incompetent.

I think that identifying teachers and tests as the causal agents is nearly
universal. I had a student who failed a required pre-calculus class four times
with four different instructors before she ended up in my class. She never
attempted to solve an exercise, even when in a group effort. If the exercise
didn't have an answer in the book, she was lost. When she failed for the fifth
time, she blamed me.

yes  no

Discussion Help