Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Mathman
Date: Jan 28 2005
On Jan 28 2005, reese wrote:
> On Jan 27 2005, rabeldin wrote:

I think that
> identifying
> teachers and tests as the causal agents is nearly
> universal.
> Yes, but I was somewhat surprised to see it. I would add to this
> that it wasn't always a tone of blame. When they did credit or
> blame, they  might mention other factors, including their own effort
> or lack thereof. But they all seemed to have significant events
> around a teacher interaction or a test that epitomized their
> experience one way or the other when they reflected back on their
> math lives. I should mention too, this was hardly a scientific
> study. But I thought it apropos to the thread.

-George

But don't you see that a wrong impression is worse than no impression at all.
It is much more difficult to convince people already converted to an opposing
opinion than it is to offer that opinion in the first place.  Would it not be
better to wait until there is some evidence to the contrary?  In any event, this
whould perhaps be a new thread, since we have gone from multiplication facts to
pedagogy to blame.  Personally, I'm deeply tired of examples of individual
blame.  What matters is quantity of blame, and that needs individual attention
at the school, not on the internet.  It has been my personal experience, and
that of colleagues, that [in my case] I've had a class averaging well over 70%,
but [in this case] three very chatty students failing badly.  They complained to
their guidance counsellor who asked me to redo one of their failing tests.  I
was held to blame.  I'm still trying to figure out to this day what I had done
wrong to have a class average of well over 70% ...higher if I'd discounted their
marks.  It is incidental, but that counsellor is now a principal.  Those girls,
deeply misunderstanding, along with their counsellor, why they were failing, are
still convinced I am a tartar, but many more do not.

Now, back to why multiplication facts are important and how to teach them...

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help