Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: sue90
Date: Jan 31 2005
On Dec  6 2004, Bethy wrote:
> I'm about at wits end. I teach in a very small rural school (one
> school district) and we have a number of students who, at 7th and
> 8th grade, still don't know 75% or more of the multiplication facts.
> I'm not a proponent of rote memorization, but these students need
> some means of quickly retrieving/calculating this information. What
> does the research indicate? Does anyone know of an effective method
> for equipping these students with a procedure so that they can move
> ahead?

Dear Bethy;

Here is a most effective method for helping students learn their times tables.
Most children already know the 1's, 2's, 5's and 10's, so use the rhyme below to
help them memorize the 4's.  I don't know of any methods other than memory work
for the 3's, but thankfully, they aren't that difficult.  Once they have the 1's
thru 5's mastered, use the finger facts method below to work on the 6's thru 9.
Even if you can dedicate 10 -15 minutes on practising the finger facts each
day...you'll see results...good ones.

Multiplication Rhyme for the 4 Times Tables

4 corners one door 4 X 1 = 4
4 corners two gates 4 x 2 = 8
4 corners three shelves 4 X 3 = 12
4 corners four screens 4 x 4 = 16
4 corners 5 cakes plenty 4 x 5 = 20
4 corners 6 floors  4 x 6 = 24
4 corners 7 gates 4 X 7 = 28
4 corners 8 dirty shoes 4 x 8 =32
4 corners 9 dirty bricks 4 X9 =36

 If I skip count you will find 7 x 7 = 49
The next fact follows fast and quick 7 x 8 = 56 (also…5, 6, 7, 8…56 = 7 X 8)
And now before I sip my tea 7 x 9 = 63

Shut the door and say now more 8 x 8 = 64

Finger Facts Multiplication

For the times tables 6 and up, you can do the following:

Number your fingers starting at the thumbs; 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 - on both hands.

Now for 7 x 7 put your two 7 fingers together - (your two index fingers)

For each finger touching and for each finger in front (the two thumbs) count by
10’s - this gives you 40

On the other fingers there are 3 and 3 left on the other hands multiply them
together that gives you 9

Now add the two together and you get 49!

Try 8 x 8;

Put your two middle fingers together.

The fingers in front and touching count by 10's this gives you 60 the remaining
fingers (two on each hand) multiply them together that gives you four.

Now add the two numbers together and you get 64!

Finger Multiplication for the 9s

Hold your two hands together so that all of your ten fingers are out in front of
you. Give your fingers numbers from 1 to 10 from left to right, so the pinky on
your left hand is 1, and the ring finger is 2.  Keep going like that. (Your left
hand thumb is 5; your right hand thumb is 6 ... all the way up to your right
hand pinky, which is 10.)

Now think of what number you want to multiply by 9. Let's choose 4 as an
example. The number you are multiplying by 9 is 4, so fold down your fourth
finger (The index finger on your left hand.)  Now look at your two hands. See
how there are 3 fingers up, then 1 down, then 6 more up? We read this as 4 times
9 is 36.

Try it again, this time with 6. Fold down your 6th finger (Your right hand
thumb.) See how there are 5 fingers up, then one down, then 4 more up: 9 times 6
is 54.

Do you see the pattern? You look at the number of fingers to the left side of
the folded down finger to find out what number is in the 10s column of the
answer, and you look to the right of the folded down finger to find the number
in the ones column.

That trick only works for the 9's.

Hope you find great success with this!

All the best!