Subject:   RE: Mathematical maturity and lower-order knowledge & skills
Author: mathking
Date: Feb 5 2005
The husband-and-wife research team were the van Hiele's not the von
Hiele's.

It is too simplistic by far to make the sweeping generalization that if a
computer can do it, it's lower-order. I suppose it would depend on how one
defined "lower-order" but the researchers in the artificial intelligence
community, for example, would take strong exception to the generalization,
especially those who believe fervently in the advent of intelligent
machines.

I understand and agree with the point that I believe Dave is trying to make. Way
too much time is devoted to useless rote-learned skills in arithmetic (e.g.,
no living human being needs to learn how to do long division by hand), etc.

I also understand the point about teaching beyond students' maturity levels.
However, students learn by grappling with and solving problems that are at the
outer edge and just beyond of their full mastery level, not by cruising along in
their comfort zones.

yes  no

Discussion Help