Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Aisyah
Date: Feb 5 2005
I have been following the discussion on the subject thoroughly. it is actually a
challenge to all teachers. In my opinion, whatever method we try to have them
master the multiplication fact rely heavily on the students's intrinsic
motivation. If they are not interested in learning the fact, whatever we do will
not achieved the goal. it's like someone whom we want them to wear a shirt, for
example, if they do not want to wear it, what can we do? when we put the shirt
on them, they can remove it because the shirt is on them. Similarly with study,
if they are not interested in it, what ever method we try, be it drill and kill
or other interesting (we thought) method, they will not grasp it because, deep
down in them, they couldn't care less. So, what i think should be done to this
kind of students is to try to motivate them. let them see the importance of the
subject. Make them realise the significance of the facts. Hopefully, once they
see the importance of the facts in their career life, they will try hard to
learn it. Once they have the realization in them and are motivated, only then
can we introduce whatever method we think best to help them remember the fact.
Then, they will appreciate it.

yes  no

Discussion Help