Subject:   RE: Mathematical maturity and lower-order knowledge & skills
Author: che
Date: Feb 8 2005
I am a new member and should probably 'lurk' for awhile before posting but I
just couldn't resist.

Before I disagree, I must concurr witht the fact that students learn by pushing
the limits, as it were. I disagree with the fact that no one needs to learn how
to do long division, not becuase of synthetic division but rather becuase of
estimation. How else do students understand the value of ratios or fractions.
They have to understand how division works.

Now whether one employs long division or another technique, it doesn't matter.
But before one can get the big picture one must understand enough of the little
pieces.

Esteban

yes  no

Discussion Help