Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Pen
Date: Feb 25 2005
Hi Bethy,
I would suggest looking at a book called Teaching Primary Mathematics by Booker,
Bond, Sparrow and Swan. It is an Australian textbook which I have found
excellent.
Booker also has produced Math board games which allow students to practice
mathematical concepts in a fun and engaging manner. He describes these games in
his book and you might wish to produce something similar yourself as the games
are very expensive.
As a Preservice Teacher I'm am suprised at the either/or approach some of you
have taken with this issue. Surely it is a combination of approaches that would
work best and this would need to be adjusted for the individual need of either
the class or individual students.
Also the more engaged/motivated a student is to learn combined with teachers
expectations that a student can learn is important. Self esteem is an important
part of learning. By using games ( and this can include times table challenges
in a non threatening environment) you can encourage even the struggling students
to learn their tables. I have seen these concepts used effectively in classrooms
where I have done my professional practice.
Bethy, good luck with your students.
Pen

yes  no

Discussion Help