Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: VJ
Date: Mar 3 2005
Horrors upon horros, Amazon.com doesn't have a supply of these Teaching Primary
Mathematics (by Bokker, et al) books and to ask Curtin University in Australia
to ship one would take a while and take a bit of postage. Anyone else know where
one might buy this book (new or used)?

On Feb 25 2005, Pen wrote:
> Hi Bethy,
I would suggest looking at a book called Teaching Primary
> Mathematics by Booker, Bond, Sparrow and Swan. It is an Australian
> textbook which I have found excellent.
Booker also has produced
> Math board games which allow students to practice mathematical
> concepts in a fun and engaging manner. He describes these games in
> his book and you might wish to produce something similar yourself as
> the games are very expensive.
As a Preservice Teacher I'm am
> suprised at the either/or approach some of you have taken with this
> issue. Surely it is a combination of approaches that would work best
> and this would need to be adjusted for the individual need of either
> the class or individual students.
Also the more engaged/motivated
> a student is to learn combined with teachers expectations that a
> student can learn is important. Self esteem is an important part of
> learning. By using games ( and this can include times table
> challenges in a non threatening environment) you can encourage even
> the struggling students to learn their tables. I have seen these
> concepts used effectively in classrooms where I have done my
> professional practice.
Bethy, good luck with your students.
Pen

yes  no