Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Kev
Date: May 20 2005
Upper schoolers with multiplication defeciencies are common in a large urban
distrtict like the one I work in. Some suggestions...First explain the
importance of acquiring strong skills in this area and/or develop a "compelling
why" students should master these basic skills regardless of aspirations.
Second, explain that multiplication is simply a fast way of adding. Third,
relate it to real life situations that they may encounter. Fourth, incorporate
basic drills in daily lessons as warmups, homework, preclass work, etc. I agree
with not allowing calculator use unless problem solving "process" is the goal as
opposed to operational ability. These may have been mentioned, however, I hope
they may be of some help.

yes  no

Discussion Help