Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: agent99
Date: May 21 2005
Ok we are working on solving equations and it is taking the students forever
because they not only don't remember their multiplication facts they also do not
know how to divide. I played with the idea of allowing them to use the
calclators because I do want them to know the procedure but I also believe that
part of knowing the procedure is knowing your facts as well as how to divde
decimals. These are my 7th graders. In my Grade 6 class I have been battling
with the students not knowing their multiplication facts as well as not knowing
how to do mutiplication with two and three numbers. A few of the students
multiply the first row and then they are done. It is very time consuming on my
part because it is backtracting before we can even move forward with what we are
doing.
I was using time Multiplication tests a as warm up and it worked for some. Also
our school had a lunch time mutiplicaqtion club... that ended and I do not know
if it was succesful.
thanks for listening to my thoughts

yes  no

Discussion Help