Subject:   RE: Number Grid game, anyone?
Author: Jeff L
Date: Jul 25 2005
While I haven't yet given any though to the execution of the applets you
envision, I can't help but wonder if the structure of the basic numer grid might
not be an important issue. the one listed has an empty row with a 0 at the end,
then goes 1-10, 11-20 etc.

The obvious option is to start at 0 and go 0-9, 10-19, etc.

In terms of number sense, number groupings etc., especially later when doing
freqency tables and such, it seems that we should give some thought as to how we
want kids to envision this chart - or to put it another way, do we want to teach
kids that the numbers group  11-20, 21-30, etc.  or  10-19, 20-29,
etc.

My preference would be for the latter rather than the former - but I have to
real evidence to support it.  It seems (to me) that we would want to use a
number chart that corresponts with the majority of math groupings that students
will use to avoid one more possible source of confusion.

Of course, I could also be tilting at windmills - any other thoughts on
this.

Jeff

yes  no

Discussion Help