Subject:   RE: Continuity and student learning outcomes
Author: Mathman
Date: Sep 3 2005
On Sep  3 2005, rabeldin wrote:
> There are students and situations where cram courses are helpful.
> Week long total immersion courses are common in industrial
> education. You hire an expert for a week and he focuses on the
> important issues without the interesting side avenues. Professionals
> learn to take good advantage of such courses. Not recommended for
> secondary students.

I know, I've been there, and you are right, it's not for secondary students.
That is primarily because the courses relate directly to what the pro is/will be
practicing once the session is finished, and is a slight hiccup in the process,
like a kick start.  Fro young peple just beginning to learn the stuf, it all
there is.  Young people, can not learn so much so quickly and maintain it in a
continuum.  There are wide breaks in between.  Mind, I wouldn't have complained
about a much shorter school year.

Seriously, one of the problems I see presently where I live is the rapid change
from a 5 yr HS course to 4 yrs.  This was accomplished by the simple process of
squishing the last two years into one and diminishing each course content
accordingly. ...and even that could not be linear, but had to be perforce less
than the sum of the parts. This says nothing of the foolish changes that had
gone on in previous years to compound that problems.

> If you think about it, homework is an
> attempt to spread the learning out over time beyond the formal
> instruction.

I thought about it long ago, and realised when I argued against semestering that
students taking the same course in half the time would have twice the work to
cover in the same time ...but would still do only X hours of homework each
night.

I.E.: 1/2 hr period of work covered per day ...x hrs homework.  1hr period of
work covered ...x hrs homework.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help