Subject:   RE: Tool for Solving Math Word Problems
Author: cmk
Date: Oct 10 2006
Hi Flix,

I understand what you are saying regarding precise alignment. I think the
multiplication program is probably more flexible than addition and subtraction.
When students check their model, the blocks are shifted into place suggesting
that some haphazard placement is tolerated.

How would you check for a proper model without setting up some boundaries for
placement? I tried to be more generous with the drag and drop limits but it
seemed strange to "approve" a model that really didn't look right.

I appreciate this type of feedback because I am a math teacher who is trying to
learn how to program. I suppose I tend to focus more on the educational aspect
of math tools and not so much on good design principles. I'd like to hear what
you would propose.

Thank you.

cmk

yes  no