Subject:   RE: Virtual Manipulative in the Mathematics Classroom
Author: markovchaney
Date: Oct 13 2006
I'd have thought that what works well for the students would be a big
determining factor. And given my experience, that calls for having a pretty good
repetoire of tools, methods, and metaphors. I get the sense that there's a myth
amongst some folks that being able to teach without tools (especially technology
and manipulatives) is more pure and hence better teaching. But my question would
be not how sparsely-equipped someone can be and still "teach," but how
well-equipped someone is so that the maximum number of students learn.

On Oct 13 2006, Mathman wrote:
  Every teacher should use whatever they think
> best to get across those concepts and ideas.  It is their choice,
> and should remain so.  There will never be any argument there from
> me.  This forum is great in that it provides a set of tools to make
> that choice available.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help