Subject:   RE: Virtual Manipulative in the Mathematics Classroom
Author: Mathman
Date: Oct 13 2006
On Oct 13 2006, markovchaney wrote:
> But my question would be not
> how sparsely-equipped someone can be and still "teach," but how
> well-equipped someone is so that the maximum number of students
> learn.

Hoping sincerely not to get involved in another cyclic and unproductive
discussion:

The one does not necessarily or logically follow the other.  The "someone" being
the same in both instances, of course, and as I said clearly myself, the more
tools available, the better the choice ...and it still remains a choice.  I've
taught trig without any widgets of any sort other than the calculator to save
lookup times and drudgery.  The maximisation you speak of was accomplished
through the teaching method, not the tool, which could have been any other tool
such as tables.

To learn to play the piano, all you need is a piano ...and a good and
knowledgeable teacher.

David.

yes  no

Discussion Help