Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: Brett S Taylor
Date: Apr 30 2007
Dear Bethy (if you're still there),
I ran into the same problem so I wrote a web page html code to give practice in
a simple way yet with feedback.  It is
http://www.geocities.com/multiplicationfacts

Also, I know a GED Special Ed teacher who has her students make a times table
chart (grid) every day.  It helps them learn or review them and they get pretty
fast at it.  On the GED they are allowed to create the chart on their scratch
paper if they want, then use it on the test.

Good luck,
Brett

PS- Are you still there? It was 2004 when you wrote your question.

What is the web going to look like in 200 years.  Will this post still be
online?

On Dec  6 2004, Bethy wrote:
> I'm about at wits end. I teach in a very small rural school (one
> school district) and we have a number of students who, at 7th and
> 8th grade, still don't know 75% or more of the multiplication facts.
> I'm not a proponent of rote memorization, but these students need
> some means of quickly retrieving/calculating this information. What
> does the research indicate? Does anyone know of an effective method
> for equipping these students with a procedure so that they can move
> ahead?

yes  no

Discussion Help