Subject:   RE: upper middle schoolers that haven't yet mastered multiplication facts
Author: QMF
Date: May 1 2007
Brett,
We also developed a program to help our 5th grader learn his math facts. It
incorporates a timer and a score charting feature so children can see real
improvements in their math fact recall, giving them an incentive to try again
and improve their scores.  It's listed as a resource on mathforum.org and is now
free for home use.  We also developed a network version for use in resource
rooms at schools.  You can find it at www.quickreckoning.com/quickmathfacts.htm.
See if you like it!
Best wishes,
Margaret Groves

On Apr 30 2007, Brett S Taylor wrote:
> Dear Bethy (if you're still there),
I ran into the same problem so
> I wrote a web page html code to give practice in a simple way yet
> with feedback.  It is http://www.geocities.com/multiplicationfacts
> Also, I know a GED Special Ed teacher who has her students make a
> times table chart (grid) every day.  It helps them learn or review
> them and they get pretty fast at it.  On the GED they are allowed to
> create the chart on their scratch paper if they want, then use it on
> the test.

Good luck,
Brett

PS- Are you still there? It was
> 2004 when you wrote your question.

What is the web going to look
> like in 200 years.  Will this post still be online?

On Dec  6
> 2004, Bethy wrote:
> I'm about at wits end. I teach in a very small
> rural school (one
> school district) and we have a number of
> students who, at 7th and
> 8th grade, still don't know 75% or more
> of the multiplication facts.
> I'm not a proponent of rote
> memorization, but these students need
> some means of quickly
> retrieving/calculating this information. What
> does the research
> indicate? Does anyone know of an effective method
> for equipping
> these students with a procedure so that they can move
> ahead?

yes  no

Discussion Help