Subject:   RE: Graphing Calculators
Author: KT8
Date: May 13 2007
I teach pre-algebra to 7th graders and Algebra 1 to 8th graders and use
graphing calculators regularly. No, not on a daily basis, and there are many
days, and many tests and quizzes, where I don't allow calculators at all. But
for quickly graphing statistical plots and quadratic equations, and for
calculating the values of exponential functions, they are invaluable.

If I were in your shoes, I would spend the grant money on at least one class
set, with a teaching device: if your school has up-to-date computers and
projectors in each classroom, get the TI SmartView software which emulates a TI
calculator, buttons and all. If you have only overhead projectors, get the TI
ViewScreen, which projects the calculator's screen, but not the buttons.

I much prefer the TI products (83 and 84 family) to other brands, unless your
only goal is to get kids to pass the state test any way they can.

yes  no

Discussion Help