Subject:   Best applet to plot probability of a flat tire while cycling
Author: pbr
Date: Apr 4 2013
Hello,

I would like to have an applet graphing multiple curves of a discrete variable x
according to 2 parameters that the user should be able to set.

x=0, 1, ..., 15  (number of cyclists in a group)

Yn are different probabilities related to flat tire occurrence wuile the group
of x cyclists is riding the total distance d (first user input parameter)

Those probabilities are a function of the distance cycled d, the number of
participating cyclists x, and the average distance f cycled between flats for
each cyclist (it is the second user input parameter; assumed to be the same for
each cyclist of the group, and assumed to follow a Poisson statistic).

The curves I want to applet to draw are:

Y1(x,d,f) = Probability to get zero flat tire during the outing
Y2(x,d,f) = Probability to get at least one flat tire during the outing
Y3(x,d,f) = Probability to get exactly one flat tire during the outing
Y4(x,d,f) = Probability to get at least two flat tires during the outing
Y5(x,d,f) = Probability to get exactly two flat tires during the outing

I have computed all these probabilities for x=0,...,15  but I am not familiar
with these applets.

What do you think would be the best available applets to start from if I want to
adapt it to this problem (where the user should be able to enter the distance d,
and the average distance between flats f?

If multiple curves are too difficult, I would go with one applet by Yn
function.

Thanks!

pbr

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Software Help Discussion discussion

Discussion Help