Subject:   Textbook?
Author: Susan
Date: Dec 10 2004
We used to use the Integrated Mathematics series by McDougall Littell, and in
Integrated II, this exact question is posed to the students!  It asks the
students to explain why the two definitions are different, and then it gives
diagrams of 6 quadrilaterals, and asks the students to choose which are
trapezoids applying defintion #1 and which are trapezoids if you apply
definition #2. I checked the glossary of the textbook though, and they use "A
quadrilateral with one pair of parallel sides."  Seems like they took the middle
road, and left it up to interpretation!  I usually discuss both definitions in
class, but use whichever one their text uses just so there isn't any confusion.
Guess I'm copping out too!

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dynamic Geometry Exploration: Properties of the Midsegment of a Trapezoid tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help