Subject:   RE: More on What is a Trapezoid
Author: Craig
Date: Dec 14 2004
I haven't entered the fray on this topic, but let me tell you I have thoroughly
enjoyed the back-and-forth.  I really like having discussions of this sort
with my students (high school, mostly gifted).

By the way, I'm firmly planted in the "inclusive" camp, even though the Geometry
text we use (Jurgenson-Brown-Jurgenson) uses "exactly one pair" in its
definition.  I guess they have to: they go on and on about isosceles trapezoids,
giving a theorem that base angles are congruent in isosceles trapezoids.  If you
use the inclusive definition of trapezoid, any parallelogram would be an
isosceles trapezoid, which would disprove their nice theorem (unless you
re-define isosceles trapezoids as those with congruent base angles, then make
the theorem about proving the legs of an isosceles trapezoid are congruent).

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dynamic Geometry Exploration: Properties of the Midsegment of a Trapezoid tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help