Subject:   RE: More on What is a Trapezoid
Author: proofpad
Date: Jan 10 2005

Sorry, but how do your reach
> that conclusion?  An Isosceles trapezoid [although I've never heard
> the term applied to other than the triangle], isn't *any* trapezoid,
> but one in particular, as the square isn't any rectangle, but one in
> particular.  If by Isosceles trapezoid you mean one with base angles
> equal, "any parallelogram" does not have two base angles equal, but
> only the "rectangular parallelogram" has that property.  So all
> rectangles would be "isosceles trapezoids", but not all
> parallelograms.

David.

When the geometry texts (as mine, the McDougal-Littell) define a Trapezoid as
a quadrilateral with exactly one pair of parallel sides, it will then define an
isosceles trapezoid as a trapezoid with the legs (non-parallel sides)
congruent.
     -Gabriel Edge

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dynamic Geometry Exploration: Properties of the Midsegment of a Trapezoid tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help