Subject:   RE: Converting units tools.
Author: jd
Date: Jun 29 2006
On Jun 28 2006, denisef wrote:
> I reviewed our sixth grade benchmarks and saw that our students were
> weak in converting units. The examples on the tool at this site are
> too difficult. Could you prepare activities in which students only
> convert standard to standard measures (example, yards to feet,
> inches to yards) or metric to metric ( centimeters to meters, etc.)
> I would find this very helpful. Thanks. Denise

Thanks for the suggestion. I can see how the examples could be challenging for
sixth graders. I've prepared some problem sets as you describe at:
http://enlvm.usu.edu/ma/nav/activity.jsp?sid=math_3&cid=examples&lid=1&preview=true&aid=1018847733

Note that I didn't provide cover stories for them. If you want to create your
own problem sets and cover stories, download the zip file from:
http://nlvm.usu.edu/download/mathtools/cu.zip , edit the xml files it contains,
and email it to nlvm AT math DOT usu DOT edu. You should be able to open them in
notepad.

Hope that helps.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Converting Units tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help