Subject:   RE: First Impressions of Dimenxian
Author: Mathman
Date: Sep 14 2006
On Sep 13 2006, markovchaney wrote:
> Does the fact that folks may have believe erroneously in a transfer
> of knowledge from chess to mathematics or critical thinking (I
> wonder who was so foolish) prove or even strongly suggest that all
> games are utterly devoid of worth in learning to think about math or
> other things?

No.  That is far too broad a statement from a simple observation.  Consider
please:  Bobby Fischer was no math whiz.

>I'd hate to think that someone would close his mind
> to all games as tools for learning based on the example of chess.

So would I.  However, that does not justify condoning the absolute use of games,
and one must wonder about the motives, which must surely include profits made
from the selling of games.

I am motivated to make the statements I did for several reasons, one of which is
that time spent playing a game is not time spent practicing fundamental concepts
which are decidedly lacking in the general population these days.  There is time
not just to learn, but to master, to make future studies much easier.

I am also firmly of the opinion that to induce a child to think in a more mature
fashion it is the child who must rise to the occasion and learn the language of
the adult, not the other way around. However difficult it might appear to
become, bring them to your level, don't go down to theirs [I talk here simply of
naturally accumulated knowledge and skills, not in any derogatory fashion.]  I
suppose I need someone to demonstrate that the playing of a game such as the one
illustrated has distinct advantages over simply doing the work.  Any excitement
is in success ...real success n problem solving gined through time and effort,
not apparent success, not flashy screen presentations.  What happens when the
game ends?  That's how I now earn an income tutoring.

Perhaps it's a matter of curriculum design as well.  If one needs to be strongly
induced to study, perhaps one is not quite ready yet for that particular
study.

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dimenxian tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help