Subject:   RE: First Impressions of Dimenxian
Author: ehy1
Date: Sep 15 2006
I personally have no idea.
> They only get one shot [pardon the pun.]  A student trying two
> approaches has the advantage or disadvantage of one before the
> other, so they can not be studied independently as to relative
> successfulness, unless statistically on some large samples of
> different groups of students of statistically average same
> capabilities, and by then it could be too late for some. That's not
> goin to happen.  The school structure allows for only one chance.
> I'd take the better one that is better only in my own opinion as a
> teacher, and formerly successful student.

The truth is known only
> in ensuing years, and even then depends upon the difficulty at that
> level as well as individual motivation.  We don't all move on
> unconditionally, or we'd all have PhDs in everything.  ...Too many
> factors allow for too much play in the meantime.

David.
------------------------------------

I don't think that anyone is advocating the replacement of traditional lessons
with gaming. Games are simply a supplemental form of instruction and practice.
Would you prefer your students playing Grand Theft Auto at home or a game that
integrates relevant math topics? Also, it is likely that certain children (e.g.
visual learners) may significantly improve their understanding of math concepts
if they are delivered in a new way. I think software like this breaks the mold
of the "student having one chance" in schools today as you say. Supplementary
software provides the student with another chance to learn and practice--
after traditional lessons and paper homework may have failed to drive home the
core concepts.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dimenxian tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help