Subject:   RE: First Impressions of Dimenxian
Author: Mathman
Date: Sep 15 2006
On Sep 15 2006, ehy1 wrote:
>I think software like this breaks the mold of the "student
> having one chance" in schools today as you say. Supplementary
> software provides the student with another chance to learn and
> practice-- after traditional lessons and paper homework may have
> failed to drive home the core concepts.

How?  Time is of the essence.  If the course has been covered, there is no time
to do it again using the software.  The software does not cover all of the
material in a course of study.  Your implication is that the software will
succeed where traditional methods may have failed in some particular instances.
The implication from the games software vendor is that it will be used by *all*
students in some ocurse of study, not by some with special needs.

I am all for software that enhances a course of study, and there is lots
available.  That does not mean encompassing all software just because it is
there.  I will wait to hear argument [**] that this software does in fact do
what traditional methods teach, and if it does that better in some way.  The
study would have to, as I have said, be based upon a statistically valid sample,
and students are the guinea pigs.

[**] That means I'll be quiet for a while to hear any other discussion pro or
con.]

David.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dimenxian tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help