Subject:   RE: First Impressions of Dimenxian
Author: roadrash
Date: Sep 19 2006
My nephew plays a tremendous amount of video games in the afternoons and that
keeps him busy; he competes with his friends and it is awesome to see how these
children implement strategy and dominate the game.

So the question is, if your child is going to play video games, why donít they
play a dual benefit game in which they can use their gaming skills while
learning/enforcing their math knowledge?

I saw Dimenxian at a conference and it was amazing how the company who produced
the game incorporated math....my nephew dislikes math but he was so engaged in
the game - he sought every way to advance to the other level.. He gives the game
a 4.5/5.

On Sep 15 2006, ehy1 wrote:
> I personally have no idea.
> They only get one shot [pardon the
> pun.]  A student trying two
> approaches has the advantage or
> disadvantage of one before the
> other, so they can not be studied
> independently as to relative
> successfulness, unless statistically
> on some large samples of
> different groups of students of
> statistically average same
> capabilities, and by then it could be
> too late for some. That's not
> goin to happen.  The school
> structure allows for only one chance.
> I'd take the better one
> that is better only in my own opinion as a
> teacher, and formerly
> successful student.

The truth is known only
> in ensuing years,
> and even then depends upon the difficulty at that
> level as well
> as individual motivation.  We don't all move on
> unconditionally,
> or we'd all have PhDs in everything.  ...Too many
> factors allow
> for too much play in the meantime.

David.
> ------------------------------------

I don't think that anyone is
> advocating the replacement of traditional lessons with gaming. Games
> are simply a supplemental form of instruction and practice. Would
> you prefer your students playing Grand Theft Auto at home or a game
> that integrates relevant math topics? Also, it is likely that
> certain children (e.g. visual learners) may significantly improve
> their understanding of math concepts if they are delivered in a new
> way. I think software like this breaks the mold of the "student
> having one chance" in schools today as you say. Supplementary
> software provides the student with another chance to learn and
> practice-- after traditional lessons and paper homework may have
> failed to drive home the core concepts.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Dimenxian tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help