Subject:   RE: Runners Activity: Some Observations
Author: ihor
Date: Jan 20 2007
On Jan 17 2007, Seth wrote:
> Can you tell me what you mean when you say Rene Descartes
> might not agree?  Thanks.

Now that I've had a chance to reread my comment which was a follow up to Craigs
comment, my comment may be more tongue-in-cheek than accurate.

Craig wrote;
...perpendicular lines on a graph are pretty much for aesthetics only, and a
nice
tie-in to geometry.  However, in the context of a distance versus time
graph,
perpendicularity is practically meaningless...

Of course, i don't know for sure what Rene would have thought, but my guess is
that he would agree with Craig's comment. Since Descartes gets credit for
inventing Analytical geometry, my thought was that he would be inclined to graph
in relation to perpendicular axes only... particularly when he was thinking
about tracking that fly on the wall that supposedly inspired him.

-Ihor

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help