Subject:   Does step size really equal speed?
Author: KT8
Date: Apr 10 2007
There is an assumption being made in this simulation that I don't agree with.
(If this has been addressed in other discussions, I apologize). I can take
loooong steps very slowly or short steps very quickly, so I don't like the
assumption that increasing step size will cause the "runner" to get there
faster. If the x-axis scale were in "number of steps" instead of "time," this
would make sense.

One of the sessions I attended at NCTM in ATL was about the shortcomings of some
electronic manipulatives and how these could lead to misunderstandings about the
mathematical concepts. Distance = RATE * time, not LENGTH OF STEP * time.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help