Subject:   RE: Does step size really equal speed?
Author: KT8
Date: Apr 18 2007
To clarify my question: in your comment (quoted below), you are assuming that a
"step size" of 1 equals 1 step per second whereas I am seeing it as 1 foot, or 1
meter, or some other measure of length, not speed. I think most students would
interpret the word "size" to be a measure of length, not length/time.

Thanks to all who have responded and turned my "shortcomings" into "teachable
moments!"

KT8

On Apr 18 2007, Cr.Morgan wrote:
> KT8,
    I�m not sure what your question is exactly.  I see the
> step size as the rate of x amount of steps per second.  If a runner
> takes a step size of 1 (step per second) it will take him 100
> seconds to run the 100 yards.  If the runner takes a step size of 2,
> it will take him 50
seconds to run the 100 yards.  The students can
> experiment changing the step size (rate) and come up with various
> conclusions using the applet.
    Maybe the label should be changed
> to steps per second to make it clearer, but with experimentation,
> students can and do pick up the idea behind the step size and see
> what happens when they change this rate.
Sincerely,
Craig Morgan
> Participant in workshop 2

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help