Subject:   RE: Does step size really equal speed?
Author: ihor
Date: Apr 22 2007
George responded to KT8:
>.... But it is consistent, and it fits with what I see as the major point of
the
> applet, which is to experiment and make predictions. think it's a
> very good exercise in that context.

Ihor writes:
I agree. I would use a different context for exploring the issues raised by KT8.
For example I would use CBRs which allows one to see the relationships between
math and real world experiences in a clearer, though more complex way.

My all time favorite of this type of activity is from the work of Andee Rubin. I
just googled for the info, but unfortunately her articles are tied up with ACM
membership requirements.

[PDF] VIDEO LABORATORIES: TOOLS FOR SCIENTIFIC INVESTIGATIOH
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat
video to capture and analyze their. running styles. A middle school math. class
in Cambridge, Mass. spent sev- ... ANDEE RUBIN is a senior scientist and ...
portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?doid=155049.155064 - Similar pages

I do have a hard copies of her articles if you are interested.

George writes:
On the other hand, I would
> use it in combination with some other tools.
For example, a
> simliar, but more familiar distance vs. time scenario is in Lisa
> Murphy's "Moving Man" applet.

Ihor writes:
The one I like of these types is the Gizmo: Distance-Time and Speed-Time
graphs at http://Explorelearning.com. Unfortunately (again) this is a pay site,
but you can get 5 minutes for free on any applet.

George: I would also use graphing calculators and distance sensors to
get atthe topic. In combination, these provide powerful opportunities to develop
understanding.

Ihor: SimCalc is great for this as well.

KT8: One of the sessions I attended at NCTM in ATL was about the
shortcomings of some electronic manipulatives and how these could lead to
misunderstandings about the mathematical concepts.
>Distance RATE * time, not LENGTH OF STEP * time.

Ihor: I tend to disagree with this conclusion, but Im holding judgement until I
hear back from KT8 about more details.

-Ihor

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help