Subject:   RE: From physical to abstraction
Author: msmathchick
Date: May 6 2008
On Jan 21 2007, svolger wrote:

I don't think it is possible at this
> point, but I would love for my technology students to be able to
> take this model a step further. Example 1: Make the first runner's
> speed be your best mile run speed this school year. The second
> runner's speed could be set to the presidential or national physical
> fitness standard for your gender and age group.

Actually, I don't see why you couldn't do that.  You could have them use a
graphing tool.  If you use the equation d=rt where d=y and t=x the r would be
their speed.  You just want to manipulate the window so that they only see the
first quadrant.  If you want one to start high and go down so that the paths
meet you would just use a negative speed and pick a fixed point as your
y-intercept.  The only catch I see is challenging the students to change mph
to ft per second.

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Understanding Distance, Speed, and Time Relationships Using Simulation Software tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help