Subject:   RE: Time Table Grid
Author: iamtim
Date: Oct 25 2007
I have a time table related issue that I could use some input from yourself and
any other teachers who teach at the same grade level.

I've been working on making some slide-rules for a couple of my grandkids who
are getting into multiplication this year. Some may think that slide rules are
just for higher-education, but I think they are a great way to learn the
multiplication tables as well as the relationship between numbes in general. I
also think a kid learns well when using the hands along with the visual process,
which is something the slide rule provides an opportunity for. Below is a link
that show some of the ones I've made:
   http://2timv.com/misc/SlideRuleBasic.jpg
   http://2timv.com/misc/SlideRuleMore.jpg

I don't have it in the links, but I'll first give them a very basic rule that
just adds and subtracts, just so they can get a feel for the sliding rules.

I would greatly appreciate input on the subject.

My grandkids are in the midwest and I'm on the east coast but will be going to
visit them in early december at which time I was planning on introducing them to
the slide rules. One of the kids is very interested in math and the other just
so-so.

Thank you,
Tim

yes  no
Post a new topic to the Times Tables tool Discussion discussion

Discussion Help