Subject:   Bridge and handheld (from below)
Author: Gayla
Date: Mar 16 2003
Hi jeuchler,

For my part, I know nothing whatsoever about hand-held computing, would be
interested to learn about it.

Your bridge project sounds fantastic.  I am working on a comparatively small
project with the Menger Sponge, where we are combining my hands-on approach
with some perspective relating to the sponge that can only be had from
technology, in an attempt to provide a meshing of perspectives.

The reason I brought up virtual reality is because I thought it might compensate
for some of the loss of grounding (even alienation) in the senses that can be
associated with using technology, that a virtual reality approach might
reintroduce, possibly in an artificial way but reintroduce nevertheless, some
sensory experience.

Last week, an Air Force researcher gave a talk at a Math and Cognition seminar
at ASU, where he described new technology that the Air Force is using to train
their best pilots.  This program is run in Arizona, and is apparently the only
one out there right now, that the Air Force has.  It is a complete simulation
inside of a real cockpit to a very intense level of reality.  It is so intense
that oftentimes the same kinds of breathing and bodily reactions are brought on
that would really happen in combat.  I'm just going to copy the short abstract
here, because it will be gone tomorrow:

MATHEMATICS AND COGNITION SEMINAR
GWC 604  12:15 p.m.
        (Co-sponsor: Systems Science and Engineering Research Center)
        Kevin Gluck, Williams Research Lab
          "Overview of Computational Cognitive Process Modeling Research
          at the Air Force's Mesa Research Site"
        ABSTRACT:  Integrative cognitive modeling architectures have
        evolved to the point where they can be used to describe and
        predict human performance and learning in complex, dynamic
        environments.  At the Air Force Research Laboratory's Warfighter
        Training Research Division in Mesa, AZ, we are using one such
        architecture, ACT-R (Anderson, Bothell, Byrne, & Lebiere,
        submitted), as a core model and theory development tool in our
        basic research program.  That research currently centers on
        empirical research and modeling in three areas:  (1) verbal
        communication, (2) visuospatial working memory, and (3) operating
        remotely-piloted vehicles.  In this presentation, I will provide
        a brief overview of the applied concerns motivating our basi
        research investments, the ACT-R architecture, and each of our
        current research focus areas.

This is long, I'll end it.

yes  no

Discussion Help