Subject:   A mini research study
Author: Joel Duffin
Date: Sep 22 2003
Ok, this has me intrigued. I have to admit that when I read the anonymous posts
suggesting that I should try pink, I was very dubious. Gayla, your post has got
me wondering. I have an 8 yr old boy who is learning his multiplication facts,
and a 6 yr old girl who is learning her addition facts. This seems like a
perfect opportunity to conduct some research.

Here is the design I will use for my first study. I will create three sets of
flash cards for times tables from 0 x 0 up to 12 x 12. The will be as
follows:

1-Normal standard set of cards, black numbers on white
2-Same cards, but pink numbers on white
3-Normal cards, but additionally include diagrams for visualizing the
multiplication

I will randomly select four sets of numbers for each of the three cards. I will
intersperse their use, so I will teach one number using the first type, the
second number using the second type, and so on.

I will use pre-test and post-test errors and time to complete for a fixed
instruction time (5 minutes). Then I will teach to mastery which I will define
as answer all 13 questions correctly in less than one minute. I will measure the
time to mastery.

I will post PDFs of the cards on the web so they can be examined and used by
others if wished. I will post the results.

I welcome any feedback on my design.

yes  no

Discussion Help